As much as I love a good break, twelve weeks away from university is far too long for me...
However, summer has given me a chance to fall in love with numerous new items for the new student house. I love to make a house really feel like a home. At University, student housing can often seem quite cold and bare and so it is really necessary to get some colour and homeliness into one's bedroom.
So what exactly have I got my eye on?
I managed to buy four great new cushions from a bargain store right around the corner from me for £2 each, which I considered a great buy as they were far cheaper than I could have made them for!
I've also discovered that Urban outfitters has some brilliant items, but you really need to be up for spending a little more money...
One of my particular favourites is this fantastic throw that can add a bit of warmth in winter whilst adding a splash of quirkiness to your bed, or in summer can even be used as a wall hanging to hide those boring walls, or even as a picnic blanket if you should so choose;
http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/tree-tapestry-throw/invt/5532038250100/&bklist=
Bunting is also a fantastic way to liven up your bedroom, however, from my experience, buying bunting really isn't worth it! There are some great ways of making your own bunting from scraps of fabrics that can be so much cheaper than buying it online or from the shops.
I discovered this little beauty on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58625483/banner-vintage-sheet-music-bird-burlap?ref=sr_gallery_19&ga_search_query=bird+bunting&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
It is something that looks really great, but could easily be replicated with some old sheet music and lace. If you are really not up for drawing you could really easily print off the bird pictures onto the sheet music and even do some tea staining to alter the colouring. For another extra touch you could even buy some miniature pegs to attach the bunting to the string and would really make your room have that extra edge.
One final thing I am hoping to make myself is one of these book clocks I discovered again on Etsy. I must really give credit to the person whose etsy account I discovered this on:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/77196454/one-fish-two-fish-red-fish-blue-fish?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_search_query=clock+book&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
These books look really great and are pretty easy to make. If you have some old books lying around (I am hoping to use an old disney Cinderella book) all you need to do is find a clock mechanism, which can easily be found in craft shops or online for practically nothing, and just attach it to the front of the book. You can also cut out some numbers to make the clock easier to read and if you really want to add something extra special, you could even find some fancier clock handles, again online or in a craft shop, for very little extra expense.



No comments:
Post a Comment